I purchase and eat so many veggie burger patties that I alone could keep the whole industry afloat. Seriously. I have my favorite brands – Hilary’s and Amy’s come to mind – but I’ve always been interested in making my own. Where to turn? My registered dietitian nutritionist friends, of course!
Black Bean Burgers
- Charlene Pors of Euphoria Nutrition contributed her Easy Black Bean Burgers recipe; if you have black beans, onions and spices on hand, you have dinner plans!
- For another easy peasy black bean burger recipe, try Tracee Yablon Brenner’s Simple Black Bean Burgers. Top with salsa and avocado!
- Emily Cooper with Sinful Nutrition makes a mean gluten-free and vegan Quick & Easy Black Bean Burger. All you really need is a can of beans, oat flour, “…and a little bit of hulk-smash elbow grease” to whip these up!
- Black or pinto beans plus fire roasted corn, finely chopped carrots and quinoa make up the bulk of Jenna Braddock’s Quick Bean Burger. Any bean that is “smashable” will do, Jenna notes!
- Amanda Hernandez with The Nutritionist Reviews created a Mushroom Black Bean Burger made with flavorful portobello mushrooms that “…gives store bought veggie burgers a run for their money!”
- Jenny Shea Rawn with My Cape Cod Kitchen, shared her Cheddar Portabella Burgers with Charred Red Onion She suggests topping them with barbeque-flavored quinoa chips for the crunch factor.
- Kara Lydon’s Mushroom Black Bean Veggie Burger combines black beans + walnuts + onion + shiitake mushrooms + garlic + quinoa flakes + egg + miso + Greek yogurt + chili powder + chipotle powder + cumin. Click through to find her special sauce recipe!
- Marianne Bloudoff of Evergreen Eats suggests making her Falafelly Good Chickpea Burgers. I need to make these, based alone on the clever name! That, and the fact that I get to douse them with tzatziki and tahini!
- Mary Purdy seconds my love of Hilary’s veggie burgers. She also suggests trying Sunshine Burgers. Both, she says, come in a variety of flavors and have a healthy amount of fiber. Her favorite: the Falafel from Sunshine.
- Mandy Enright (a client of mine) of Nutrition Nuptials contributed her recipe for her Freekeh Sunflower Burger – get your freekeh on, Mandy suggests, with this plant-based protein source and yummy sunflower seeds!
- Kara Golis of Byte Sized Nutrition suggests her Curried Beet and Quinoa Veggie Burgers – check out the colorful results!
- Sharon Palmer, the Plant-Powered Dietitian, offers her Edamame Ancient Grain Veggie Burgers filled with nutrient-rich plants such as edamame, quinoa, walnuts, oats, carrots and flax.
I’m fairly certain I now have 12 new meatless burger favorites on rotation! Let me know if you end up making any of these recipes and which ones are your favorites!